Above is a shot from the tracks of the depot in Shelby as it appeared in 1946. Although Shelby Iron ceased manufacturing operations in 1923, the company remained in business well into the mid 20th century. The depot remained a thriving and important location for Shelby residents. In 1946, the post office still occupied the original 1870 building located less than100 yards from the depot, Mail coming in on the train would be loaded onto carts and pulled to the nearby building. Shelby residents would gather daily to “meet the train” for mail, freight, and, of course, to see who was entering or departing town on one of the passenger trains.